Sunday, June 10, 2007

Winged Victory

My girlfriend bought me an iPod Nano (amazon) with the Nike+ kit (amazon) as a gift a while ago, and I fell in love with it instantly. Before that I had just run for distance, not really caring how fast I went (and I still generally prefer the idea of seeing how far I can get than how fast I can get there). That all changed after my first run with this gizmo in my shoe. My 10km time dropped by minutes immediately, just from having the real-time feedback, and within a few weeks had dropped by over 10 minutes. I started trying to get a sub-twenty-minute 5km, but, unfortunately, an injury sidelined my running and I had to quit for a while.

I'm back running again, though not as frequently as I used to, and much to my delight and surprise, I finally reached my goal! While looking at my Nike+ page, admiring my new achievement (what can I say, I'm vain that way), I noticed that there's now an option to share runs. And so, here it is.

Unfortunately, I feel compelled to attach a disclaimer: I have to admit, I have been concerned that my calibration might have fallen a bit off. Google Earth confirms that it's in the right ballpark, but it's probably a bit shorter than a full 5k. While that's a bit disappointing, I'm still pleased that I've gotten faster at running the same route, regardless of what the real distance is. Plus, the scientist in me loves having all the statistics to look at. What can I say? I love graphs.

No comments: