Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Bouldering in Squamish

Climbing is my primary motivation for being in shape. Sure, I do all sorts of things now which aren't directly related to improving my climbing, but I still consider it the core of all of my physical activities. It is with some embarrassment, then, that I admit that I had never actually been outside of the climbing gym on real rock until last week.

Last week my girlfriend and I were in Vancouver for a wedding, and so we took the opportunity to go up to Squamish to do some bouldering. My girlfriend is an unrepentant non-climber (believe me, I've tried), and so bouldering rather than roped climbing allowed her to hang out with me while I enjoyed myself.

And boy did I enjoy myself! Now, I'm not going to say I'll never go back to the gym, or anything else silly like that, but climbing on real rock was definitely a whole new experience. All I can say is, I definitely need to go back on a dedicated climbing trip, with a group of climbing friends.

Special thanks to Climb On gear shop in Squamish for saving us when that other gear shop messed up our reservations. Also, Squamish Bouldering is the guide to get. Of course, you can get in anywhere in town, but Amazon is cheaper.

No comments: